On 2016-07-20 22:50, Steve Litt wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 13:05:01 -0700
Bob Holtzman <hol...@cox.net> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 10:51:30AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> My estimate is that maintaining a car costs between $15K and
> $20K/year. Few employers are willing to pay for that.

That seems like a lot of money. You are figuring the car has zero value at 10 years and if totalled you lose all value. That is not my car owner experience.

I would assume your jeep might be worth $6500 at 10 years. Could be more could be less. A $22,000 vehicle will cost $24,000 once all the extras are added such as doc fee, registration, and sales tax.

24,000 - 6,500 = 17,500 / 10 = $1750 or $145.84/mo.
at 17 mpg and 12,000 miles a year and $2.25/gal of gal, that is $132 a month for gas.
4 oil changes a year @ $30 each = $120 or $10 a month.
2 sets of tires @ $500 each set is $8.34/mo.
add $1500 of repairs which is $12.5 a month.
I did not add interest.

Total monthly cost $308.68

Now the real question that is being asked, will this part-time employee be paid mileage when being required to drive to several facilities in a day or a long distance to any one facility? I think the IRS allows for $0.60 deduction per business mile. I think that is a fair compensation to an employee who uses their vehicle for business.

The other side of the coin is this might be the door into the job someone wants. Some real experience and something to put on their resume. It is entirely possible this job could springboard someone into a full-time position that pays enough to support a family.

Sometimes we just have a pay our dues and while doing so the man has all the power.

Depends on the year and mileage on the car, how many miles/yr you put
on it, what the mileage (mi/gal) is, etc.

I'm including gas, repair, insurance, and amortization of the purchase
price. I mean sure, my Jeep Patriot has no repair costs (still under
extended warranty) and gas is less than ten bucks a week (I don't drive
much), but if you figure I keep it 10 years and divide the $22,000.00
price into those ten years, you're a pretty good way to $15,000.00. And
of course if it gets totaled in 5 years...

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist