I'll toss some ideas out. Not saying any are silver bullets but they're possibilities (all of which depend on getting enough like minded people and the willingness to coordinate, but then find a solution that doesn't):

* If you just want an alternative space to kick around in and not a super-secret hide-from-the-feds alternative, who says VPNs have to always be for logging into work or watching videos from outside their licensed regions? Pick one of the private IP spaces and set up a widespread VPN.

* A FidoNet store & forward system would probably be pretty trivial to tunnel through the Internet. In fact it's my understanding that towards the end of BBSing days that was pretty much how most of the remaining boards on FidoNet were operating. Pick an open source web forum, bolt on store & forward... Hey, we've just reinvented newsgroups with a GUI slapped on top. Actually I'm kind of surprised that near as I can tell no one has done something along these lines. If I had to guess I'd guess that any time someone has suggested it they've either said, "That's Usenet, who uses Usenet anymore?" or "sounds like a mailing list, mailing lists already exist."

* As close to a silver bullet as there probably is for this matter? Solve mapping IP numbers to a distributed directory system rather than a master list of unique names. What I mean there is figure how to set up a system that accepts that there are going to be duplicate names out there. There's lots of cities with the same name, there are countless people with the same name, work out a system that says, "Portland.gov? Do you want the site for the city of Portland, Oregon or the city of Portland, Maine? Perhaps Portland, New South Wales?" Also work out how to make it resistant to intentional corruption because trolls are going to troll. (Someone will suggest the blockchain in 3... 2... 1...*)

* If I'm going to dream, figure a wireless networking standard that can operate at say a mile's range, even something that drops to dialup speeds when it's unlicensed and thus you have lots of people using it. Do that and setting up your local mesh network becomes far easier. I recall a few years back there was discussion of trying to set up a Plug Wifi Mesh and IIRC range was what killed it. There were people interested but figuring out how to actually get them linked together on a reasonable budget.

Short of that if you want a mesh network you're going to have to figure out how to get people who otherwise don't care to get involved. Sure Raspberry Pi 3's have built in wifi, in theory anywhere you can find an outlet you could stick a little RPi3 box, but even they're going to be expensive once you start talking about buying them bulk. Sure there are even cheaper options than the RPi, but even those become "real money" when you buy them by the case. So right now the only way I see a freeform mesh network happening is something like the Little Brother solution in which you convince people to get involved for reasons other than "I want a non-government run network," (the characters in Little Brother release a homebrew console game that did multiplayer over a local mesh network using the wifi built into the console rather than using the Internet over the cable/dsl connection, then by managing to get it popular at their school the main characters a network to communicate over that wasn't pre-bugged or as easy to shut off).

(No really, the Blockchain is cool but it's also a new fad solution like Java, "over the Internet!" were once upon a time (really, did even a quarter of the original dot com bubble companies have a business plan that amounted to more than, "it's something you could do cheaper locally, but we're offering to let you do it Over! The! Inter! Net! With um, Java! Yeah, Java!")