Larry Lauer wrote:
> Could have a look at
> https://www.unixmen.com/quick-tip-fix-gpg-error-badsig-linux-mint-ubuntu/

Thanks Larry.  I had found and already done all the steps
described in the unixmen article ... and that did help to
resolve most of the problems that I had reported.  However,
the problem with the synaptic Update Manager page as shown
in the first screen shot that I had provided remains unresolved.

So I have now added a newer screen shot that shows how the
problem has gotten even worse -- so bad that it is now
impossible to see any content that may be in that top window.

http://upquick.com/temp/synaptic1b.jpg