On 2021-02-26 17:56, Aaron Jones via PLUG-discuss wrote:
Michael Butash wrote:
https://frame.work/ [1]
Might look at one of these if/when they come about.
I backed one of these projects and the dude never shipped. His was a
modular framework for upgrading a laptop and it ended up getting
demolished by shoddy work in the shop they chose in China.

These will be more expensive than other laptops in the short term. Making computer parts that fit together into a frame that is not custom-designed, in form factors that humans can work on, and supported by metal frames instead of glue requires effort and money. And regular consumers are super-sensitive to price. So I think the only way this won't be a hastily-discarded boutique product is if 3rd-party manufacturers start making other modules that are cheap and do interesting things. Which is possible but unlikely IMHO. (Observing the x86 industry for 22ish years has made me a tad pessimistic.)

Also, I do not give a **** about how thick my laptop is. In 1999, I had a Thinkpad 380D that could probably have been used as an improvised weapon. It was 2.5 cm in height and weighed 3.6 (?) kg. A modern machine with that form factor and weight would have a crazy long battery life. I am obviously in the minority, as marketers have conditioned the general population to think "looks trendy" >> "functions well".

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity