On Tue, 2022-08-16 at 19:47 +0000, T Zack Crawford via PLUG-discuss wrote:

> You could go to a distro which has something other than systemd for init,

Yes yes yes yes, YES!!!

> but recognize  you will be missing some features (which could probably be done
> with something else), the daemon services will be written and managed
> differently,

s/differently/better/ in the case of the runit init system.

> and there are a lot fewer people available for support.

Who ever needed init system support before systemd?

> Unfortunately, a bit of FLOSSware is written with the assumption you're using
> systemd.

Who needs Gnome and the Snap packager anyway?

> I tried Artix for a hot minute but decided ultimately it wasn't for me because
> either a) I am dependent on the distributers to maintain their repositories
> which
> are often missing packages for configuring daemon services or b) I would be
> compiling packages for myself and writing my own init scripts.

Try Void Linux. All major software, and even some minor software, is supported.
Void
uses the Runit init system. With runit, writing your own init scripts (called
run
scripts) is trivial --- easier than writing a systemd Unit File.

Note that the s6 init system is a little more complicated and featureful, but
what I
said about runit is true of s6 too.

SteveT
A happy Void and Runit user for 7 years