The DVDs in question had the annoying trailers, warnings, etc as a separate vob file from the video that I wanted.   I tried deleting the vob file, but then the menu didn't work.  Vobblanker, a windows app that works under wine allowed me to remove the annoying crap and keep the menus working.  I rip DVDs using Handbrake and store the resulting video files on a hard drive.  I use the DVDs as a backup.  I was curious how to remove the annoying crap.  If I'm going to pay good money for a DVD, I believe I have the right to back it up so I can watch the video without risking wear and tear or damage to the  DVDs I bought. Anything I've read on the matter says it's legal to make a backup copy, but not to share it with or give it to others.  Also don't the feds have other stuff more important to worry about?