I appreciate all your feedback Steve. VirtualBox was supposed to be an interim step until I could afford a Proxmox machine. I think I will put Proxmox on the computer that was running Windows and died. I need to test the hardware... I think Windows got corrupted and the hardware is fine.

I hope to build Proxmox tomorrow.

Keith

On 2022-11-15 17:12, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss wrote:
Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss said on Tue, 15 Nov 2022 07:42:22 -0700

[snip]

VirtualBox is a mess.

[snip]

My expectation was that I could download and install VB then create a
guest instance and configure my VM as I like, and in my case I want to
have it have an IP on my local private network, and be able to put
that IP in my browser and do some testing.

I've done just this with Qemu.

VirtualBox in my opinion is what is wrong with technology.  I've said
it before and I'll say it again, technology has become too difficult.

The whole idea of virtual machines is blindingly difficult. If virtual
machines weren't so darn helpful, I wouldn't use them.

I used VirtualBox for a little while before switching to Qemu. I didn't
find VirtualBox any more difficult or complicated than Qemu. I switched
to Qemu for three reasons:

1) Your mileage may vary, but I found Virtualbox to be unstable and
   crashy.

2) I prefer Qemu's shellscript paradigm to VirtualBox's point and click
   paradigm. Indeed, preference of shellscripts over point and click
   was one reason I migrated from Windows to Linux.

3) I don't like Ellisonware. Although I don't dislike Ellisonware as
   much as Gatesware or Poetterware, I'd prefer not to have my workflow
   depend on the whims of Larry Ellison.

Anyway, if you'd like to see how I solved your particualar problem with
Qemu, see http://troubleshooters.com/linux/qemu/nobs.htm . I have a
feeling you can use the VirtualBox equivalents to solve this problem.

Please understand documentation on virtual machines is ambigous,
contradictory, often false, based on single-setup anecdotes, etc, so it
stands to reason that something with so many components is incredibly
difficult to get right, under the circumstances.

SteveT

Steve Litt