If you're going to use the host file then you'll have to copy it to every
machine you have every time you update it.
As far as the domain name goes, you can use anything you want, .com .gov
.myown The only problem you'll have is if it is already being used which
would cause a conflict.
As long as it's an internal network you can call it anything you want.
I'm not sure what you mean by non- routable domain, you set up the routing
so that's what determines if a network is routable or not
Using an internal IP 10. 192.168. is what prevents people on the outside
from getting in.

Setting up the DNS is not that hard and then just pointing your DHCP server
to it simplifies the whole thing.