Well,
Screen readers still operate primarily in a serial fashion, although with many
changes since 8 years ago. The VoiceOver screen reader can read in either
serial or Dom mode. Also, one can look for landmarks, windows spots, static
text, characters, words, paragraphs, images and the like. Voiceover is probably
the most complete built-in screen reader and exists on all products in the
apple ecosystem.

In linux, there is ORCA, which is almost as versatile as the VoiceOver screen
reader, although ORCA has some dependencies that need installing if it is ever
to work to it’s full potential. It has the ability to navigate containers,
tables and the like (just as VoiceOver can).

Jaws (or Job Access with Speech) is the windows closed source screen reader
from BSI (formerly Jaws, or Hentor Joyce as the original company was known by).
It is fairly powerful and can work in most apps and even does a reasonable job
of parsing a website. NVDA is the open source version and is equally as
powerful. Unfortunately, not all apps on any of the platforms are screen reader
usable. On windows, unless accessibility code is included, many apps based on
python and compiled as exe’s are not usable with any known screen reader (case
in point is the open source radio programming software CHIRP. There are other
“open source” software packages for windows that have this design flaw. The
same can be said on the Apple ecosystem and yet there is accessibility code for
many of the programming languages that could make this easy to work around, yet
many devs either don’t know or simply refuse to include said code in their
work. So, the app arena is still the biggest stumbling block for us blind users
and trying to educate devs becomes it’s own full time unpaid employment, often
with only little success.

Now, web pages are a unique case in point as they are the “public access to a
company or individual” and as such, qualify as “public access” in terms of the
US ADA or it’s European equivalent Thus, such sites have to be accessible.
Unfortunately, there is a small, but growing, cadre of individuals and
companies who are in the accessibility space who seek to make changes the hard
way, by the hammer of litigation. One such is “AccessiBee” and their so called
“web overlay” which is often barely functional at the best of times. They use
the extortionate method of “either buy our product or we sue you under section
508” and then they charge $$$ (typically into the mid 4 figures) for yearly
“subscriptions” for their service. It is predatory entities like this that make
advocating for proper accessibility such a nightmare.

So, if one wants to design a website using standard html, one should consider
accessibility right from the start of the design process instead of bolting it
on as an afterthought.

-Eric