Mike,

Are you turning an old laptop into a Chromebook?

Keith

On 2024-05-30 05:41, Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss wrote:
I've started using ChatGPT for searches. Here is what it returned. I know nothing on the subject matter so I do not know if this is accurate:

---
As of my last update in January 2022, Chrome OS doesn't have a built-in Linux mode like some other operating systems such as Ubuntu or Fedora. However, Chrome OS does support Linux applications through a feature called "Linux (Beta)".

To enable Linux (Beta) on your Chromebook, you can follow these steps:

    Click on the system tray in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
    Click on the gear icon to open Settings.
    Scroll down and click on "Advanced" to expand the menu.
Look for "Developers" and click on "Developers tools" or "Linux (Beta)".
    Follow the prompts to enable Linux (Beta) on your device.
Once enabled, you can access Linux applications through the Terminal or by installing them from the Linux app store.

Keep in mind that enabling Linux (Beta) will require some system resources and may change how your device operates, so be sure to review the implications before proceeding. Additionally, the steps might vary slightly depending on the version of Chrome OS you're using, but they should be similar.
---

I used the same search phrase on Google and it returned this phrase:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/9145439?hl=en

Keith