Hmm.  I could have sworn that the NTFS utilities in Linux had a chkdsk function.  Yeah:

ntfsfix (8)          - fix common errors and force Windows to check NTFS

(found using 'man -k ntfs')

Man page for ntfsfix says, in part:

DESCRIPTION
       ntfsfix  is  a utility that fixes some common NTFS problems.  ntfsfix is NOT a Linux version of chkdsk.  It only re‐        pairs some fundamental NTFS inconsistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an  NTFS  consistency  check
       for the first boot into Windows.

       You  may  run  ntfsfix  on  an NTFS volume if you think it was damaged by Windows or some other way and it cannot be
       mounted.

So, ntfsfix might help.  There is also an ntfsclone that says:

ntfsclone (8)        - Efficiently clone, image, restore or rescue an NTFS

Can Linux mount your ntfs stick?  (You might have to do it readonly. and you've probably said something about this, but it has been a while and I've not been as focused on the issue as I probably should be...)