I have had several situations where I needed to become root because I was unable to compete the task using sudo. Maybe I do not understand....

On 2024-06-29 19:05, Michael wrote:
I thought using suddenly was the same as becoming root

On Sat, Jun 29, 2024, 7:19 PM <techli...@phpcoderusa.com> wrote:

Mike,

The world is a hostile place.  The more precautions you take the
better.
I cover the camera on my cellular phone while not in use.  I cover
the
camera that is built into my laptop while it is not in use.  I think

on-line banking is dangerous.  At some point I want to turn off WIFI
and
go to wired only on my local net.

We lock our cars and houses for a reason.

I do not know as much security as I'd like, however it might be
necessary at some point to to become more cyber.

About 24 years ago the members of the Tucson Free Unix Group (TFUG)
helped me build a server that I ran out of my home.  We left the
email
relay open and I got exploited.  About 10 years ago I became root
and I
accidentally overwrote my home directory.  yikes... both were
painful.
The first example is a reason we must be more aware of what we are
doing. The 2nd is an example why we should use sudo as much as we
can
instead of becoming root.

Keith