Resident PHP expert? Your too kind!! I'm sure there more than a few PHP people on this list that can out pace me. I'm just the most vocal.

<scroll>

On 2024-07-02 14:12, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss wrote:
Hi all,

This is a question for our resident PHP expert Keith Smith, but others
please feel free to chime in...

In what ways, if any, is knowledge of HTML and CSS valuable to a PHP
programmer?

I would say that a PHP developer must know the full stack. That does not mean that one needs to be an expert in all areas.

To answer your question a PHP developer MUST know how to integrate PHP in HTML. That does not mean the PHP programmer needs to be an expert in HTML.

I think a PHP developer needs some basic knowledge of CSS. As a PHP developer I rarely create a template for a website. I am not artistic in that way. I've always worked with the design and what the designer provides. Having said that I had to make some minor changes to the template (HTML/CSS).

This could be an entire white paper.

Here is my opinion.

There is too much to know to learn it all before beginning.

I suggest getting some familiarity with:

HTML (including making a template responsive)
CSS
Linux
Apache and / or Nginx
MySQL
PHP
JavaScript
AJAX

Add to this the developer should be using something like VirtualBox or Proxmox and be able to install a Linux server and install onto that a LAMP configuration.

The programmer needs to know a bit of networking and be able to configure a static IP on his/her VM and understand how to use the windows and Linux host file to create a local net for testing. That includes using something like .local as a TLD.

That is my opinion.  I'd like to hear from others.

Keith

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt