Well,

The x86_64 failed, I used F6 and even added the pci=nomsi
all-generic-ide on the second attempt and went into \etc\X11\xorg.conf
and modified the video to "vesa" and still no go.  The text installer
wants ACHI drivers and I loaded one after another but nothing.  I
tried formatting again but the installer rebooted during the 51%
format complete, so GRUB got "F'ed Up."  In the wee hours this morning
I had to boot to the Vista Disc, launch command prompt and run bootrec
/fixmbr just to get something to boot.

I have still not given up but I may need Lilo or wait till Fedora 8
(Rawhide), Ubuntu 7.10 (Gusty Gibbon), or CentOS 6.  It seems my
hardware is so new to the kernel that conflict is inebitable, like
puberty :-)

Tomorrow for sh*ts and grins I am loading MAC OSX Tiger to see how it
does until my hardware is old enough to drink at the bar with Linux.

Later,
Brian

Specs:
Dell Inspiron 1520
2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
256MB NVidia 8600M Video Card
160GB Hard Drive (100GB to Vista, 45GB to ext3, and 2GB for swap -
actual total size 149GB)
Broadcom NIC
Dell 1390 Wireless
DVD Burner