Am 10. Dec, 2007 schwätzte John Wheat so:

moin moin John,

To do this upgrade should the procedure be done from a console with no X
server running or does it matter these days? I found release notes for
Sarge to Etch that mentioned I should upgrade the kernel prior to the
dist-upgrade would that still apply in Etch to Lenny. I am not concerned
if the whole install gets hosed as Etch is installed on a drive I use
only for testing purposes .  I just want to  be sure the  procedure is
done with the smallest chance for human induced error as possible.

I really haven't run anything except stable for quite a while.

When I do dist-upgrades I make sure I have whatever I'm currently running
upgraded to the most recent version of whatever it is, then I run the
upgrade. Sometimes I'll reboot or restart X if significant changes came in
during the last upgrade, but usually I just run with it to see what
happens.

A couple of Ubuntu upgrades had problems due to changing X during the
upgrade, but otherwise I really haven't had issues until I've done several
major upgrades without restarting X.

Theoretically going to testing is the same as any other upgrade except
that it might be broken.

I'd suggest waiting until mid-day, then checking resources like the bot in
#debian to see if there are any known problems with testing that day.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "I guess I should've agreed with my boss more often. Today I was replaced
#  by a bobblehead doll!" -- Randy Glasbergen, 13Mar2006