The card is not in possesion at the moment (wes tech was closed when I drove
up) but I need to know if BSD/Linux will detect  it. If it will be
automatically detected that means things should be locked down before it is
installed. If it is not to be automagically detected and made available for
use would someone tell me how to do it.

Then there is the laptop. What do I need to do to get it to detect the wifi in
the tower? THe laptop has xubuntu 6.10 (for no other reason than it was on
hand to ensure that the laptop was still operational and that the problem was
a windows thing.