With Microsoft's track record and budget for lawyers, a high degree of
suspicion is more than reasonable.

OTOH I would think that any insight on the inside of M$ software that
will not get you dragged into court should be welcomed. It might make it
more difficult to claim hands off if you write code to accomplish the
same task.

There are some things that are claimed as patents that should not be
allowed. There are only so many ways to add two and two that have not
already been done, are obvious and part of prior knowledge, yet I have a
recollection that someone applied for a patent on the procedure.

Harold