Craig White wrote:
On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 20:33 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Quoting Geek Girl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

--
I would imagine that an Asterisk Users Group would generate a
substantial amount of interest and I hope that if this happens, someone

If anyone cares, unlikely as that is, the thread starts here:
http://www.trixbox.org/forums/trixbox-forums/open-discussion/trixbox-phones-home

The ironic thing was, I was only reading the forums after a Trixbox update broke
my config.
----
that was really, really bad. I found that this comment from Kerry
Garrison, Trixbox Community Director to be most disappointing in that he
found it so easy to justify...

"This is getting far off the mark here. We are going to fix this so that
it is easy to opt out of the program. If everyone opts out, we have no
data, if we have no data, then we lose the financial support of our
partners. If we lose the finanicial support of our partners, I lose my
funding, if I lose my funding, I lose my team. If I lose my team we have
no development on CE."

This type of thinking flies in the face of the open source community. If
the corporate partners commitment to open source lies only as far as
they are able to glean information from their users then you have to
figure their commitment isn't very substantial at all.

Craig

For me it was when 'Trixbox Pro' came out that signaled it was time to move on to something else. It was a sign that their vision didn't jibe with my needs; hosting things on their server it just felt wrong. I couldn't see why anyone would want to have a significant chunk of their pbx hosted somewhere on the internet - bad idea! I could see hosting the entire server on the internet as a service but not part of it.
I agree with your assessment of Kerry's statements.
Kerry was a pretty respected guy in the Asterisk community. Now I'm not so sure. The big problem with TB is that it pretends to be an open source project. Sure the source code is available but few people have the ability to contribute to the project. I hope other companies learn from Fonality's blunders; it really could have been win-win for them.

Im optimistic about PBX in a flash so far.

--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC