On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Nathan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 March 2008 13:59:59 Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  >   Is there an easy way to create a daemon without creating an init.d
>  > script, etc.?  My needs are pretty modest, the process just needs to
>  > persist after logout.  I can kill it manually when need be.
>  >
>  > Thanks,
>  >
>  >   jmz
>
>  what I do is ssh into which ever box it is, even the local machine, and run
>  the command with an & at the end, then exit out. From there I can do whatever
>  I want, except reboot and it will continue running. is that possible?

  well the system I'm using appears to terminate a background (&)
process when the user is logged out.  I always thought that background
processes are still children of the shell process, and thus
terminating the shell will kill the &'d process, but I could be wrong
on that one.  Im not sure if this is the default, or just how this
Debian system was set up.  Everything else on this server is super
bolted down- so I would be surprised if its not default.  Currently
going to test Jon Hanson's hup idea...

  -jmz

 - http://www.joshuazeidner.com/