Ed wrote:
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Geek Girl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Lol it has noting to do with the spec file it has to do with trixbox not
 being stable...
 for example their 2.4 branch was pretty stable but now they released 2.6 and
 overwrote the 2.4 repositories and everything updates to 2.6. Plus 2.4 was
 still buggy...They are actually in the process of testing a nother revision
 this eve at trixbox but they are even skeptical of weather or not it is
 fixed.  Plus they they are known for hosing their repos regularly...

2 things:
1)I would like to avoid Trixbox - bad karma, and 2)here is a vote for
a compile from source. It would be interesting to cover the
dependencies Asterisk just has to have as well as the various compiler
and configure options. I am looking at installing onto an OpenBSD box
and have heard Asterisk can be installed on a Nokia N800, so I'm
expecting to have to wade into this stuff.

I gave up on Trixbox; their vision doesn't match mine ;) It was always a struggle getting something stable from them. PBXInAFlash is my current favorite.
The only reason to use ANY of them is to save yourself some time.
There are a lot of parts to making a good Asterisk PBX system:

   To run asterisk you typically have to get
   Asterisk+zaptel+asterisk-addons+oslec or hpec + the dependencies
   such as kernel source.  To make it usable by normal human beings
   install FreePBX, possibly Hylafax and Avantfax, and the dependencies
   for running them (apache, mysql, etc).  Running the asterisk distro
saves you most of that time. Someday RPMs will be a good idea but right now it's better to
   compile it yourself.
   The vast majority of people are running Asterisk/etc on Linux but
   there are some using *BSD.

   JD