I've noticed that after about 2-3 weeks of not shutting off my computer that
things grind to a halt and that I need to kill Xorg.  Is there anything I can
do or is it just my old k6 processor and I'll have to live with it?

(yes.... I'm still running my computer that was built in 97 - I've replaced
the power supply once and added all the memory I can..... it is only a little
slower than my satelite notebook that runs windows) (it is great- my dad gave
me the satelite not working and I discovered the MBR was messed up.... which
I fixed with linux)