Just thought that I (the friend, heh) would add that the Pilot model plays video VERY well (full 30FPS). A friend who bought one says he likes it better than his video IPod (especially since he doesn't need iTunes to put media on it).

The sport model also plays video, but it has a smaller screen and video playback is at 15FPS. The playback isn't bad, but isn't the flawless experience you get on the Pilot. Not bad for something smaller than your cellphone!

Heck I will just give a rundown of the models I have:

4GB "Pilot" (Model: NS-4V24). Price at Bestbuy: $119 + tax. My price: $60 cash. Qty avail: 6 Unboxed, but in perfect condition (no scratches, perfect working order, good battery, etc). No headphones (TBH the earbud headphones that come with them are not comfortable anyhow)
Quick specs:
* Audio: MP3,OGG,WMA,WAV,Audible
* Video: MP4 (30fps), WMV (30fps)
* Photo: JPEG, GIF, PNG (I found some PNG work, some don't)
* 2.4" high-res display with wide viewing angle
* Stereo bluetooth audio
* Built-in FM radio w/ RDS support (Can also save RDS data)
* Dual headphone jacks (includes a line-in jack for recording audio from external source)
* 25 hours playback time
* USB 2.0 for charging and data transfer
* Firmware is upgradable
* EQ with presets + custom setting
* micro-SD expansion slot if you want to add more storage (the 4GB is internal, slot adds extra).
* Song rating button

More specs and info at: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8452863&st=pilot&type=product&id=1183767792576

4GB "Sport". (Model: NS-4V17). Price at Bestbuy: $109 + tax. My price: $40. Qty avail: 3 red, 1 black, 1 blue. (also have a black 2GB) Unboxed, but in perfect condition (no scratches, perfect working order, good battery, etc). No headphones (TBH the earbud headphones that come with them are not comfortable anyhow)
Quick Specs:
* Audio: MP3, OGG, WMA, WAV
* Video: MP4 (15fps)
* Photo: JPEG
* 1.7" color LCD screen
* Built-in FM radio w/ RDS support (can also save RDS data)
* Stereo bluetooth audio
* 25 hours playback time
* USB 2.0 for charging and data transfer
* Firmware is upgradable
* EQ with presets + custom setting
* Song rating button
More specs and info at: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8447567&st=insignia+sport&type=product&id=1183766842520

If you need something even smaller, I also have several smaller players. Note as Hans mentioned, they do not play OGG format:
* 1GB "Kix". Bestbuy price: $39.99+ tax.  My price: $20.
Note these are *brand new* in *unopened* boxes. They can plug directly into USB port or also come with an extension cable. They come in what I call a "girls" version (interchangeable bright pink, blue, and green cases), and a "boys" version (interchangeable dark blue, black, and maroon cases). Each comes with 3 different color cases.
Quick Specs:
* Audio: MP3, WMA, WMA-DRM, WAV
* 1" color OLED display
* 30 hours of playback time!
* USB 2.0 for charging and data transfer
* Includes USB extension cable (can also plug directly into USB port)
* Comes with 3 interchangeable different colored cases. (pink/blue/green, or drkblue,drkgrey,maroon)
* Retail box includes headphones, cables, manual, software cdrom.
More info and specs at: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8565965&type=product&id=1188562603386

1GB and 2GB "DAG" (Model: NS-DA2G) Bestbuy no longer sells these, they orig sold for $79 for 1GB model and $99 for 2GB. I'm selling the couple I have for $15/$20 each. Qty avail: 1 1GB ($15) and 2 2GB ($20ea) * No headphones (TBH the earbud headphones that come with them are not comfortable anyhow)
* Audio: MP3, WMA, Audible
* Photo: JPG
* 1.2" OLED display
* USB 2.0 for charging and data transfer
* Built-in FM radio w/ RDS support
* 18 hours of playback time
More info and specs at: http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/video-insignia-ns-da1g-review

Mini-FAQ:
Q. Do I need special software to put content on the players?
A. No...they are plug-and-play (tested on XP,Vista,Linux,OSX). Just plug into USB and create directories, drop files at will. Q. How do I get video onto the player? A. Video needs to be in MPEG4 format. If you have in another format you can use ffmpeg to convert, or if you have access to a windows machine, you can use "Super" (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html), or the software that was bundled with the player also has a windows prog "Arcsoft Media Converter2".
Q. Are the batteries replaceable?
A. Honestly I do not know. I did open up the back of one of the sport models I have, and found that the battery is replaceable, but I don't know if you can buy them seperately.
Q. Do you have any of the retail boxes/headphones/manuals/software/cables?
A. I do have some, but not enough to go with all of the players. I would be happy to burn a copy of the software disc, and provide a couple of USB cables. I may have a couple of the headphones but as I said, they pretty much suck, you are better off using your own.
Q. Speaking of USB, what kind of cable does it use?
A. The USB interface is female mini-USB, so you will need a standard fullsized USB to mini-USB cable. I believe you can get these for about $4 from Amazon, Radio Shack, Frys Electronics, etc. Q. Can you put non-media files on the players (use them as storage, like a regular flash drive)? A. Yeah. You can put non-media files, and they will just be invisible to the player interface. I have an ISO file stored on my Pilot :-)

Okay this is way more info than I had intended to post! If anyone is interested in one of these players, let me know. As Hans mentioned I will bring some with me to the next PLUG meeting (will be my first time attending) as well.

-Charles

der.hans wrote:
moin moin,

a friend purchased a bunch of Insignia ogg vorbis players for gifts and
then realized he went overboard.

He'll be at Wednesday's meeting and has some 2 GB and 4 GB models for sale
at $40 and $60.

See my blog entry for more info on the players. I really like mine.

http://www.LuftHans.com/node/5601

The ones that do video also have stereo bluetooth support.

ciao,

der.hans