I'm posting here because I seek locally-focused input, and this is
likely the sort of thing that appeals to the "Oh, look, I can run Linux
on it" streak.

I'm sure many of you remember what ASU Surplus used to be like, 3-4-5
years ago.  Half-dead, half-open machines, most priced in a manner
where it was worthwhile to buy an entire PII-400 desktop for the Zip
drive inside.  And all the "WTF" stuff-- HP 712 pizza boxes, SGI kit,
etc.

Well, they shut it like two years ago, and then reopened it a bit later
(for two hours a day), but it just isn't the same.  If I just want a
beater case to install some parts in, a low-end box to gut for a spare
drive or card, or a 21" CRT which can only connect to an obscure HP
mini, odds are you won't get it.

My inner raccoon-- the one which enjoyed digging through their
cornucopia of rubbish for something truly cool-- is not satisfied.

Where does everyone go for that experience now?  It would be nice if it
was someplace open on weekends, or at least more convinient hours than
2-4PM.  I'm sick of trolling Craigslist, waiting for something fun to
show up.