Thanks to everyone for your answers.
Sorry I wasn't clear enough in describing my situation.

Looking back in my notes, I see that I had asked this question
previously, and got lots of good replies, but then never followed-thru
to get something working.  I think good solutions are in the replies
everyone has provided.  I just need to actually try some of them
to figure out which is the easiest for my needs.

Previously, some suggestions were:
(1) "scp *.jpg 192.168.1.12:"
(2) sftp (if you have ssh running) then [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(3) From KDE Konqueror, in the location bar type:
fish://ipaddress/location/or/folder
(4) NFS or Samba are better/faster solutions, but require setup
(5) From GNOME, click on Places, then Connect to Server and select server type;
  Nautilus will pop up and you can drag-n-drop files.

'scp' sounds like the easiest for most of what I need between among
my Linux systems, which is my main objective.

Thanks again.