Trial and error. I'd start with making sure sshd is running on the
target machine. Usually (depending on distro),
# /etc/init.d/sshd status
will tell if it's running or not. If it's not running,
# /etc/init.d/sshd start
should start it up, but only until the next reboot. The method of making
it persistent depends on the distro.

--
-Eric 'shubes'