Are you using Gnome or KDE

Launch From the Terminal for gnome:

# gnome-theme-manager

This is rather old, but should do the trick:

Installing Additional Components

You can download
additional theme components via two main ways:

 Download themes from the official Ubuntu repositories.

 Visit the GNOME Art or GNOME-Look web sites (http://art.gnome.org and
http://gnome-look.org),
and download items from there. Be warned that there is sometimes
artistic nudity on some of the wallpapers available from GNOME-Look.Downloading
from Ubuntu Repositories

To get theme components from the Ubuntu software repositories, you use
the Synaptic Package Manager. Setting up Synaptic Package Manager to
use the online repositories is described in Chapter 8 of Beginning Ubuntu
Linux, Second Edition, although guides can also be found around the web.

Select System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager,
click the Search button, and enter gtk2-engines as a search term
(gtk2-engines is how Ubuntu refers to theme components). In the list of
results will be those gtk2-engines already installed, indicated by a
dark green check box, and several that are available for download.

Note In my tests I found a handful of dummy gtk2-engines
packages (according to the description when you select them in Synaptic
Package Manager). These are there for those upgrading from an older
version of Ubuntu, and you can ignore them.

Icons rarely come in gtk2-engines packages, and instead are contained
in their own packages. To find icons, use the Synaptic Package Manager
to search for "gnome icon theme" (without any dashes or quotation
marks).

Although each theme component comes with a description, you won’t
really know what it looks like until you see it. The best policy is to
download all of them and audition them one by one. However, be aware
that themes can be large, so they may take some time to download on a
slower connection.

Don’t forget that you’re downloading theme components, rather than entire
themes.

To use your new theme components, select System -> Preferences ->
Theme, click the Theme Details button, and choose from the various
lists.

Downloading from the GNOME Art Web Site

Visiting the GNOME Art site (http://art.gnome.org),
shown in the screenshot below, gives you access to just about every
theme ever created for GNOME. In fact, the site also contains wallpaper
selections, icons, and much more besides. All of the offerings are free
to use, and most of the packages are created by enthusiasts.

Installing new theme components is easy, and the instructions here work just as
well for the GNOME-Look site too (http://gnome-look.org).

www.Obnosis.com |  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations:obnosis |
(503)754-4452
Catch the January PLUG HackFest!   Kristy Westphal, CSO for the AZ Department
of Economic
Security will provide a one hour
presentation on forensics 1/10/09 Noon at UAT.edu.