You can have both repos but it won't do you much good as anything that has changed in Sid will get overwritten and anything that hasn't changed since Stable will be the same version in both places.

You can install specific packages, then 'pin' them in apt so they won't be upgraded, but that quickly becomes a rats-nest of dependencies. Not to mention Sid was the kid who liked to break his toys and the Debian community says it will likely eventually break your system. Also, security fixes don't get ported to Sid.

My advice would be to go Stable or Testing on plain ol' Debian, then compile the software you want "the very latest" of by hand. "The very latest" in Debian terms is not always all it's cracked up to be, though. Debian backports security fixes, so unless there is a (very) compelling function missing I'd advise finding a way to be happy with "pretty recent". :)

~Ben

Stephen P Rufle wrote:
I have not verified, but I think that if you are adding a more stable
repo to an unstable Debian box. Then no issues should arise since if it
is in a more stable repo it has already been tested thoroughly in order
to graduate to the more stable repo.