On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 19:48 -0700, leegold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm finding Xubuntu 8.10 to be unstable.  A lot of people on this list
> seem to be into Fedora disto - I'm downloading the iso now. It's ashame,
> Xubuntu feels wonderful - but it acts weird, things freeze and crash. My
> theory is that there are so many distros that the quality of the
> programmers is spreading thin...I don't think it reflects on Debian, I
> tried the desktops based on freeBsd which is rock solid and fast. But
> those distros where unstable too. Slackware desktops had problems too.
----
I am a big fan of Fedora but I find it hard to believe that Xubuntu 8.10
is that unstable but myself, I'm still using 8.04 LTS when I
infrequently boot Ubuntu so I'm probably not a good reference there.

I think that XFCE doesn't get the same amount of love as say GNOME or
KDE these days.

Fedora 10 - if that's what you're downloading is a pretty aggressive
release and in fact I just had 250+ updates install yesterday which
suggests that many bugs have been squashed now.

I think you are confusing packagers with developers. Packagers for
Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, etc. are primarily packaging the software
developed upstream and hopefully contributing fixes upstream as they
encounter bugs. It helps to have a lot of eyeballs looking at the code
integration but the various packaging people don't really thin the
development crews.

Craig