Yes, installing first in another system and just moving the drive should work -
might also want to choose a similar and video card for the base install box and
consider doing a full source install (including nice kernel sources depending
on distro) in case the kernel might need something later.

www.Obnosis.com |  http://wiki.obnosis.com | http://hackfest.obnosis.com |
http://nuke.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
PLUG HACKFESTS - http://uat.edu Second Saturday of Each Month Noon - 3PM