Greetings,

Smoothwall might be trying to use sk98lin for the DGE card, but  have you tried the sky2 module?  Or vise-versa, try removing/disabling sky2 or sk98lin, whichever one smoothwall is detecting & trying on boot.  The Nextreme (broadcom) uses the tg3 driver.  Are you able to switch to another virtual console to 'modprobe sky2 && modprobe tg3' before the network configuration section?  Also, which version of smoothwall are you working with? I noticed fixes for tg3 in recent releases.

Sir Light wrote:
*waves to JD*

I have a server from ebay for REAL cheap. It is a Compaq DL380 G2 that is now running my firewall(IPCop) that I got for $65. It has a pair of pIII cpus, a gig of memory and a pair of 36gigs HD(using just one of them) You might want to try there.

IPCop installed just great on it. I then restored the configuration that I saved from my old firewall box.

Jon

---- JD Austin <j...@twingeckos.com> wrote:

10 years ago I used to recompile kernels almost every day to get it to
support the hardware I had, now days it is a rarety.  I'm scheduled to
install the firewall on Friday but I've sent the better part of 3 days
building and rebuilding smoothwall to try to get it to support the network
cards in a Dell T105 server.  In their infinite wisdom they won't let you
proceed with the install until you've configured at least one network card.
Mandriva 2009 shows them as NetXtreme BCM5722 gigabit PCI Express (card on
MB) and DGE-560T Ethernet Adapter (PCIe X1).

I have the source for both drivers (sk98lin for both).  I'm about to give up
and try to find a dual nic intel card that will fit in this machine
(supposedly supported).
This machine only has 1 3.3v pci slot, 1 PCIeX1, and 2 PCIeX8 slots.
 Who might carry such a network card in town (Fry's only has a Dlink card
DGE-560T above)?
--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC

Laurence J. Peter  - "It's better to have loved and lost than to have to do
forty pounds of laundry a week."