Just playing devils advocate, but I have (was forced to) done the same thing on windows using ICS (internet connection sharing), which is basically windows NAT + DHCP server. Not saying windows is better in any way, just pointing out that it is possible if you are stuck with a windows machine. Regardless of the platform, it is great fun to figure out how to make something work :)

-Charles

kitepi...@kitepilot.com wrote:
Jason writes:
I love how my Linux will do anything I want...
all I need to do is find the right package.

Linux has many things to love...
I'm Montreal doing some work and I brought with me a couple of laptops, a switch, a VoIP box (and a telephone) and a bunch of straight and cross cables.
Free wireless in the hotel.
Good...   :)
But you have to enter a code in a browser for the connection to work.
Bad... :(
Well, as usual, I forgot to bring with me a bridge and a router, so:
what do I do to connect my VoIP? LINUX TO THE RESCUE!!!
1.- Connect the wireless laptop to the network.
2.- Connect the VoIP the the laptop's Ethernet with a cross cable (maybe a straight will work, duno...) 3.- Download a free (an LEGAL), proven, reliable, industrial-grade DHCP server (try that on windoze, good luck...) 4.- Configure a couple of iptable rules to forward and NAT the VoIP packets (so the hotel doesn't ask for another code that you can't place into the VoIP anyway)
And (drum roll)
I can talk the night away... :)
I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY luv Linux...
ET