On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 08:10 -0700, Eric Shubert wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > I would suspect that the version isn't as important here as making sure
> > that the filesystem is mounted with extended attributes.
> >

> Here's the pertinent part of my smb.conf:
>          map archive = no
>          map hidden = no
>          map read only = no
>          map system = no
>          store dos attributes = yes
>
> Here is the fstab entry:
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /          ext3    defaults,user_xattr  1 1
>
> Any idea what is or might be wrong with the configuration?
----
from the man page of smb.conf...

under 'map read only'
If store dos attributes is set to yes then this parameter is ignored.
This is a new parameter introduced in Samba version 3.0.21.

It seems to me that the upgrade of versions has nothing to do with this
issue.

under store dos attributes (S)

If this parameter is set Samba attempts to first read DOS attributes
(SYSTEM, HIDDEN, ARCHIVE or READ-ONLY) from a filesystem extended
attribute, before mapping DOS attributes to UNIX permission bits (such
as occurs with map hidden and map readonly). When set, DOS attributes
will be stored onto an extended attribute in the UNIX filesystem,
associated with the file or directory. For no other mapping to occur as
a fall-back, the parameters map hidden, map system, map archive and map
readonly must be set to off. This parameter writes the DOS attributes as
a string into the extended attribute named "user.DOSATTRIB". This
extended attribute is explicitly hidden from smbd clients requesting an
EA list.
On Linux the filesystem must have been mounted with the mount option
user_xattr in order for extended attributes to work, also extended
attributes must be compiled into the Linux kernel.
Default: store dos attributes = no

I gather that with store dos attributes set to yes, then a file on Linux
would appear to be something like rwxrwxr_x (depending upon your create
mask) but the dos attribute itself is read only. I think that if the
file is copied as r_xr_xr_x then the dos attribute setting is probably
not going to help.

Your configuration seems reasonable to me. There are a couple of things
I would check. The first thing I would probably do is up the log level
to 10 to get an extremely verbose log of the error which may present a
clue. The second thing I would check is renaming a 'read only' file from
other standard types of Windows programs such as the Windows Explorer
and perhaps the dos rename utility because I wonder if the cygwin rsync
actually respects the dos attributes.

Craig