All my Linksys WRT54G's and the one WRT54GL I have always had that
problem. I had to pull the power at least once a week, usually much more
frequently, especially if I was producing a lot of traffic.

I can't recommend Tomato highly enough, the firmware is amazing! For
what it's worth, I'd recommend resetting the router to defaults, flash
Tomato (or DDWRT or OpenWRT, they're all pretty solid) and never worry
about it again. Assuming, of course, that your router hardware is
supported (check the version number). I find Tomato to be a lot more
usable, but that's just me. The official firmware is pretty limited, and
I suspect that even the most recent version won't fix your problems, so
if you can go with one of the others, do it, you won't regret it.

-Joe