Hi Joe:

There are known issues with virtualbox on a Thinkpad related to
suspend/hibernate failures (see below).

Quick Resurrection
[drop info from these steps into this email with reply to organize the issue]

1) Verify bootloader GRUB
What does your grub.conf look like?
Compare the old and new version, specifically looking at the kernel boot
options.
What are you booting into?

2) Verify X
Boot into rescue mode, and go see what your /etc/X11/xorg.conf says.

Look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log for clues.

There would have been an old xorg.conf that was copied to backup.

Run Xconfigurator after copying current xorg.conf to KNOWNBACKUP.

Or just copy the current file to backup and move the old over.
Virtualbox
apt-get install virtualbox-ose  virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.24-1-amd64
virtualbox-ose-sourceapt-get install module-assistantmodule-assistant prepare
virtualbox-osemodule-assistant auto-install virtualbox-osemodprove
vboxdrvadduser myusername vboxusers
You might want to add vboxdrv to the list of modules in /etc/modules to be
loaded automatically at startup in.

Virtualbox fails Hibernate
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4582777&postcount=3
To circumvent this, put this in ~/bin/vbox_suspend:

#!/bin/bash
for x in `vboxmanage -nologo list runningvms`
do
  vboxmanage -nologo controlvm $x savestate
done

and make it executable. you can test it by running ~/bin/vbox_suspend, which
should save all your running virtual machines.

put the following lines in /etc/pm/sleep.d/90virtualbox and make it executable
as well:

#!/bin/bash
case $1 in
  hibernate)
    su YOURUSER -c /home/YOURUSER/bin/vbox_suspend
  ;;
esac

This is not very elegant (as the user is hard-coded), but it works.
I have tried to make the machines resume on thaw, but it would place
the vms on the wrong workspace even if it know which X server to use,
which it doesn't.

Known bug on Thinkpad with Suspend

Drivers for ThinkPads:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki