Now, I'm even more thoroughly confused.

On 3/23/09, Lisa Kachold <lisakach...@obnosis.com> wrote:
> http://reformedmusings.wordpress.com/2008/12/11/installing-sun-virtualbox-6-guest-additions-in-linux-guests/

This is describing installing PCLinuxOS as a virtual machine inside a
working Ubuntu-VirtualBox setup ... which doesn't seem to have
anything to do with trying to get my installed PCLinuxOS system X
recovered.

The article says: "Guest Additions installs from a CD iso file.

I don't have any CD iso for this.

The article then says: "So, we need to load the iso as a CD in our
virtual machine.
For this, the virtual machine must be shut down (powered off)."

There is no way I can do this when my basic machine is not working.