Lisa Kachold wrote:
> Well, the sad fact is that _any_ machine will kick over and barf it's guts
> under distributed attacks; it just depends on what it does after the green
> slime clears..
> Also, it really helps if you run one that won't take WRT, or only runs on an
> arm, with small memory therefore they aren't too hot to pwn you.  Linksys put
> out the source, whereupon I built my own, and played with the features; you
> know kiddies are doing this also.
>
> Course, if you have a WRT-able router, it's a good idea to set it up as a
> small linux system, but you have to know how to work it; starting by iptable
> deny all of china is a good start.
> I have had mine owned regularly; I just flash it again.  Mine is easy to
> determine, since it suddenly starts showing AIM ports open.  Once they target
> you successfully, they will insidiously continue to keep track of you; rather
> like trophy hunting.
> I could have done a complete defcon presentation on various routers by this
> time.
> That's why I always suggest to everyone, if you see something strange, you
> see something strange, report it, complain, study it, rather than continuing
> to agree with everyone in denial about the sad state of security.
> Obnosis | (503)754-4452
>

> PLUG Linux Security Labs 2nd Saturday Each mo...@noon - 3PM

Lisa (and others),
I don't tend to generally trust the "commercial grade" devices
available. they can't handle what I do with my home connection on a
daily basis
(and the last thing I want is some script kiddie pwning my router). I
use OpenBSD here as my firewall machine (I have both a hardware version
and vmware). I tend to keep close track on these and so far, neither
have been "pwned" after nearly 5 years of continuous use. I used to use a
linux firewall before that, but had problems with rootkits.

Even with this, it still doesn't hurt to have a whole bevy of security
tools at hand for "just in case" (like windows, linux, OS X, etc).