On Apr 1, 2009, at 1:40 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:

yum list | grep openmpi     # (checking to see if it is installed)
yum list | grep lam         # (checking to see if it is installed)

I think this will only find packages which were installed by yum.

If you download an RPM to a machine (wget, scp, etc) and install it using the 'rpm' command, it will not be found by 'yum list'. Seems like a big oversight, but that was my experience on some RHEL5 machines I was an admin for. (I used RHEL4 more, and it still used up2date. yum is much superior but I didn't have as much experience with it.)