From: plug-discuss-boun...@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-boun...@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of Dorian
A. Monroe, II
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:57 AM
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Speed Cams

Maybe I'm too idealistic, but I don't believe that they were put in place
only for the money.  The company that built the cameras is not getting a cut
of the profits.  They are getting paid according to a contract that they've
signed with the government.  If no revenue was generated from tickets as a
result of the cameras, they would still get their money according to the
contract.

There is no dollar amount that can be set for the value of a life.
Accidents and injuries on the highways are now lower than they were before
the cameras were put in place.  The most likely variable that influenced the
reduction in injuries is the presence of the cameras.
It's my opinion that the people that are against cameras have a disregard
for the lives of others.

In the past, I thought that it may even be a good idea to create an
additional class of driver's license for people that could prove that they
are capable of driving safer at higher speeds.  Having more extensive
driving exams and frequent and strict car inspections for these people would
allow them to drive maybe an extra 10mph over the posted limit with
designated plates or something.  My views on this changed after I had my
daughter.  :)

The problem is that no matter how well you can drive, you still have to be
concerned about everyone else on the road.  There have been times when I'm
driving down the road at the speed limit and paying attention to the road
(in front of me, primarily) to have someone pass in the adjacent lane some
20+mph faster than me.  They came up so quickly that perhaps in the timing
of my rearward glances I missed them and then all of a sudden they're beside
me and gone.  Maybe they're a really "good"
driver, but it shocks the beejeezus out of me.  Now what if I had decided to
change lanes, or if anything unexpected were to happen?
Debris on the road?  What if I were someone that didn't have good reflexes?
I would be really mad if that person caused me to have an accident.  I would
be heartbroken and destroyed if anything were to happen to my daughter as a
result of someone else's disregard for safety.

There are many arguments for and against the speed cameras, like the right
to face your accuser in court.  If you've had your picture taken by one of
these cameras, you were breaking a law.  If you were to get pulled over by
an officer, you would most likely get a fine and points on your license.
Your insurance may go up.  If you've had a couple accidents in the past and
already have enough points you may lose your license.  If you get your
picture taken, you only have a fine.  It's a trade-off that I think is
acceptable.