Gilbert T. Gutierrez, Jr. wrote:
> These threads are ok, but when they dominate a list it turns members away.
>
> This last OT thread is a great example of a thread out of control.  Not only
> was there an outrageous number of OT posts that I had to wade through, but
> at one point, one list member posted 7 separate messages on the same OT
> thread in a row with no other list messages in between.
>
> I can appreciate members airing their expertise, opinions, and questions;
> but know when to say when and stop feeding the trolls so that the list can
> be useful.
>
> BTW: Feel free to slam me for posting off topic.
If OT posts bothered me I would just not read or filter out posts with
OT in the subject. At the same time I can understand why it is not
efficient to have to wade through a bunch of OT threads to find the
linux-only stuff that you are looking for.

I think the issue is that most people who form a social community or
group of ANY kind, usually want to talk about other things too, as
people like to bounce ideas off of or share thoughts or discuss things
with a group of like-minded people.

I see only a few solutions:
* Disallow any non-linux related conversation. This would require more
manual moderation effort.
* Allow off topic threads as long as they have the OT designation in the
topic so that they can be filtered out
* Create a separate OT list, and encourage/enforce folks to post their
OT stuff there.
* Create a totally separate OT list somewhere else (google groups, some
other mailing list, etc) and direct OT things there, so that PLUG does
not have to deal with managing non-PLUG related things at all.