Lisa Kachold wrote:
Easy Twittering:

In Ubuntu, install curl with |apt-get install curl|, then create a file paste
the line below into it, modify the username and password strings:

|curl --basic --user "username:password" --data-ascii "status=`echo $@|tr ' ' '+'`"
"http://twitter.com/statuses/update.json";|

Save or copy the file into /usr/bin, and you’re done.

$ /usr/sbin/twit Time to head over to the PLUG Meeting in Tempe

You can also follow updates (name it plugtweet):

!/bin/bash
while :

do
curl -s http://twitter.com/statuses/public_timeline.xml | sed -ne
'/<text/s<\/*text>//gp'
sleep 10
done
exit
Next, make this script executable. Then, run it using the command:

./plugtweet
I use the update.jason method in a few twitter-integrated apps and scripts that I wrote (moblogging, etc), it works nicely. There is also a text-only twitter client called "ttytter" (http://www.floodgap.com/software/ttytter/) that I use to have one of my IRC bots output tweets of people it is following to IRC.