I run 32-bit XP in VirtualBox on my X360. It's a low-voltage, dual-core
1.2GHz chip (SU9300) with 3GB of RAM running 64-bit Ubuntu (8.10 at the
moment). It runs pretty fast for me; that is, the fan doesn't seem to go
crazy and there's no real noticeable lag in the host or the VM. To be
fair though, I haven't really used it much since I installed it, except
to look at one website in IE.

A friend of mine with the same laptop signed up for the professional
license from Sun (free for personal use,
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox_PUEL) and used the virtual XP
to configure his Harmony remote via USB. I don't see why the same
solution wouldn't work for you, assuming you had a machine of comparable
power.

-Joe