On Thu, 14 May 2009, Joseph Sinclair wrote:

> While Google (and others) develop the Android O/S, the
> carriers make all the decisions about how open the phone is.
> The G1 is a *T-Mobile* phone, not a Google Phone.  ...

> The T-Mobile G1, like any other T-Mobile Phone, is a locked
> phone, and you can only run the apps that T-Mobile permits.
> Google wrote the software open-source, but T-Mobile locked
> down the phone environment.

well; not to my experience but on another chassis ... actually
I presently run an unlocked phone from RIMM on US T-mobile; I
am given to understand (OLS OpenMoko presentation, Android
devel ML's) that there are binary radio and cell network
datalink modules one has to feed thru a defined api, but that
one can add additional modules, once duly signed.  And
certainly I can manage the certificate (and thus signing key)
chain it is using presently ...

> There are unlocked HTC Dream phones available running
> Android, but I don't know of any US carriers that will
> permit you to use them.

I have on order one "Dream G2 (Google Android, GSM, Unlocked)"
and in transit from the manufacturer's sales agent in China;
they represent it works on US T-Mobile, and I have no reason
to disbelieve them .. we'll see

> Even the Freerunner is difficult to get service with in the
> US, our carriers mostly still have Ma-Bell Monopoly envy,
> and want to lock you into their network so they don't have
> to actually compete.

I've also an 'I8' on the way as well (also called a 'A550+'),
and pretty clearly it is running some Apple store content in
screenshots, has an Apple style power connector, and may be
intercepted at Customs as an infringing copyright knockoff [I
hope it is just grey market goods, and will slip through] --
again, this (different) manufacturer's rep represents it works
on US T-Mobile, and I have no reason to disbelieve them either
.. we'll see

> There are supposed to be several more Android-based phones
> (and a couple netbooks) released in the next 3-6 months, so
> if you can wait a little bit, that might be good.

what fun is waiting, when one can be first on the block  ;)

> You can develop for the Android environment without a phone
> using the development SDK, it's a qemu-based virtual
> machine, so it works just like a real phone from a
> development perspective.

similar to the Apple SDK's approach for developing toward
iPhone and iTouch then, but with a better VM hosting layer --
Apple runs a VM inside the outer (OS/X) OS simulating the
device

> Sometime soon I need to put together a
> how-to-write-for-Android preso for devel, I just haven't had
> any free time the past 7 months (although that's changing,
> so I might be able to get it done soon).

looking forward to it

-- Russ herrold