On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 5:12 AM, Dennis Kibbe
<denn...@li3-188.members.linode.com> wrote:
> I searched the archive but didn't find a previous discussion about this.
>
> A friend who graduates from high school next week wants to take a summer
> course in programming. His goal is to become a business applications
> programmer.
>
> He asked me what language he should start with. I'd guess the prgramming
> landscape is changing with more services going into the cloud.

According to some of the recent studies from the IEEE Computer Society
I've read, Java is still king of business application development
(.NET also ranks highly).  So, for that specific goal I would
recommend Java, for its market utility as well as the fact that its a
nice sandbox'd and very object oriented language.  I'd ask what sort
of company he would like to work for though, as well-established
companies tend to go with languages and technologies made by
well-established companies and/or stuff from the 70s.  Smaller
companies, startups, consulting shops, etc. tend to lean more towards
PHP, Ruby, etc.

--
david [.dh] huerta
haystackproject.com