Check out http://silenceisdefeat.com. There was another site I signed up
for but I can't seem to find my login information (or even the name of
the site). Sucks cause I paid to be a premium member, which also gave my
a mysql database.... oh well, it was only a couple of bucks. Anyway,
most of the usable shells aren't 100% free. A lot will require you to
pay a one-time $1-3 fee. I think it's well worth it personally. You can
skirt the donation with a verified PayPal account, but then you gotta
mail a thing and wait for them to make the account. If you donate $1 (or
5, 10, 20 or 50), you can have the account up today.

>From their site:
"50MB storage space, http access(http://silenceisdefeat.net/~username),
ssh, sftp, imap-ssl mail, pop3-ssl mail. Instant messaging clients for
IRC, AIM, MSN, ICQ, Yahoo!, Gadu-Gadu, Jabber, and Lily. Optional
trainable server-side spam detection is also included. We also have a
few vhosts for fans of IRC."

TOS: http://silenceisdefeat.com/tos

All the active accounts on the machine are just running screen and
presumably running IRC clients in that session.

Hope that helps...

-Joe