n Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Eric Cope<eric.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I recently installed IPCop on a laptop. I am using a Red + Green
> installation. I have two questions.
> 1) How do I switch the ethernet adapters for each zone (one is 10/100 and
> the other is gigabit)?

IPCop is a good choice.

There is an interface on the laptop console, not in the remote
management interface.  One of it's provisions is to change the network
settings.  You will be able to pick which interface is Red and which
Green through those menus.

> 2) I have a VPN server behind the firewall. Is it better to put it in the
> green zone and port forward the single port, or have an orange zone? Do I
> have to have a third network card for an orange zone?

It is way better to have an Orange zone.  And you must have a third
network card to have an Orange zone.  Probably hard to add a third
with most laptops.

You could put the VPN server on a single port forward into the Green,
as you state.  Probably safe enough but then I'm not a security guru.
Because I am not a security guru, I would not do it that way.  I would
use the knowledge of the IPCop developers and get a different computer
that can take three network cards so I have an Orange zone.

Alan