Tuna wrote:
> Top posting as a crazed act of revenge,
D:<

> I'm actually with Ryan on this one.
:O What??

> Open Source is almost trendy,
> largely because of Google and their Android platform. Now netbook owners
> everywhere will brag about their Linux-based open source operating
> system, forgetting the freedoms they give up with could computing. And
> people ask my why I hate Google (nothing personal, I know Google peeps
> watch this list, I just don't like your employer).
Open Source *IS* trendy. Open Source has been trendy since Firefox. And
I don't even consider Firefox Free Software in its most liberal sense.
As more and more 'regular' people get involved and become users (as the
OSI, FSF and all the

> There was an article in last month's Free Software Foundation Bulletin
> about Free network services. Featured were Libre.fm and Identi.ca, Free
> software replacements for last.fm and Twitter, respectively. I guess
> that's all we can do, get creative web people on our side, using the
> AGPL.
Even with the Affero, it doesn't really help the regular user without a
webserver or anything to run a webservice on. You can't just turn
around, pop it into GCC and say "here I go, a new veresion of
Identi.ca!" It's just not that simple. So, the majority of users will be
bound to nonfree (in my view, anyways) software.

The Affero misses out on an important point, imo: How can a user be
granted the same freedom as the software creators without putting either
at risk? How do you deal with, if you somehow find a way to allow the
users' modifications to run on the software developer's dataset (as it
should!) without the risk of comprimising others' data. Virtualization
could play a huge part here, but it is only half the battle.

> Jesus, I miss the days of finger. Social networking done right!
Were you even born back then? :P

Ryan