well if you want to create a dos floppy i have a usb floppy drive i
can likely borrow and se about brining to the next west side plug
meeting

and a windows box to make it. however i do not know how potable your
system is. i cant remember if it is a laptop or not.

be a neat project to see come alive as a subset of wine for the
creation of boot disks..

if you want to send me a link i can try to create a disk img for you
as well to work with

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Dazed_75<lthiels...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Trent Shipley <tship...@deru.com> wrote:
>>

>> Memtest86 passed.
>>
>> So far people have also suggested the cause as hardware
>> incompatibility, hard drive issues, BIOS (Dell's site does recommend
>> updating the BIOS for my motherboard but their program won't run from
>> a CD and I couldn't figure out how to make a bootable DOS flash
>> drive), usb drive/video card/other card/any peripheral, acpi (I think
>> this issue is fixed in newer versions of Ubuntu), and my personal
>> theory that the problem is fundamentally caused by an incompatible
>> combination of software and hardware.  Software-hardware problems
>> would explain why over several kernel iterations some are stable and
>> run beautifully while others won't boot.   Without the boot log it's
>> all superstitious guess work.  If I had another Linux machine I'd do
>> surgery and mount the problem system's drive to read the log.
>>
>> I think RedSeven is going to get some of my money.
>>
> Trent,
>
> I read back through your posts and two things I have not seen from you are:
>
> 1) any details about your hardware other than it being a Dell (model,
> memory, disk space, etc)
> 2) do you need to retain any files/data from the system for which you don't
> have backups
>
> Please provide that information.
>
> Depending on the answers and how quickly you need to get this resolved, you
> might not have to go to the expense of a professional repair shop.  If
> necessary we might be able to get together to work on this.  Too bad we did
> not have it to work on at the installfest.  You said near ASU West.  Are you
> a student?
>
> --
> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
>
> The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
> that I wish it always to be kept alive.
>  - Thomas Jefferson

Stephen