Mike wrote:
> I think the fruit hangs lower now that we have these huge job websites
> and voip. Now all anybody really needs to do is get an employer account
> on monster/etc and grab some skype/etc minutes to make cheap cold calls
> from anywhere in the world. In talking to my neighbor the whole thing
> sounded like a concept ripe for one of those late night "internet
> millions" infomercials.
>
> -Mike
>
> Michael Butash wrote:
>
>> I guess for me I've been long enough removed from being exposed to the
>> job meat markets to see things have progressed to such behavior.  It got
>> to the point that they became like gnats quickly just waisting my cell
>> phone minutes, especially when 99% of what they were calling me about
>> wasn't even relevant.  It's equatable to voice spamming for their
>> income, which makes my want to work with them even less.
>>
>> After dealing with it for a few weeks, I began considering the margins
>> of profit they're making and considered what it would take to do so
>> myself as a hobby, but I'd just feel like a shoe salesman, telemarketer,
>> or other equally undesirable employment.  At least how they go about
>> it...
>>
>> Agreed about DIY, any job worth having really has come from my own
>> scouring, referrals, or social networking of some sort.  I figured it
>> couldn't hurt to float my info out there to see what came to me, but
>> geez was I wrong.  Quite the sad state of affairs.
>>
>> -mb

Yes, things must have changed a little since I went back to "normal"
employment a couple years ago. Then I got occasional calls from
recruiters, but nothing to the point of annoyance. There was one in
particular (Oxford International) that was very persistent, called me
for years, albeit nice enough not to do so more than once every couple
months. Almost much every time I got the call, it was a new person. I
told every one of them, "I will not relocate," and it was always East
Coast stuff. When they finally had an opportunity in the Valley, it was
military- and I won't do that either. Guess I'm a hopeless case. :-)

Vaughn