Great idea and suggestion, Mike.

I've built several towers, but never thought of trying to build my
own laptop.  Have you yourself done this?

I'm not sure where to look to find a source for a kit, but I'll
google for it to see what comes up.

Recently, I've even been thinking of getting one with a lower
powered processor (i.e. core 2 solo) as those reportedly have
longer battery life and since I don't care about games, I think
most laptops today are way over-powered for what I need.
And for my needs, I really do not need more than 80-100 Gig HD.

Also, I've have wondered if it might make more sense to have
an external DVD-drive to keep the laptop itself light for travel.

I'd really be interested in your thoughts and other plug
members' thoughts about these things.