Hmm, in the debug output from the ntp server startup on my gateway system I see
the following:

addto_syslog: Cannot find existing interface for address 148.167.132.200
addto_syslog: Cannot find existing interface for address 66.27.60.10

among the other messages there. The addresses 148.167.132.200 and 66.27.60.10
corresponds to the two ntp servers I have set in my ntp.conf file on that
system.

So it seems that the ntpd daemon does indeed start up but it still is not able
to contact
either of the ntp servers I have configured.

NUTS!

Just a guess but I am thinking this is a Cox network thing. That is just a
guess though.
Is anyone else here on a Cox cable modem able to sync to a external ntp server?
--
Steve